Quick tips on foraging and using elderflowers.
It’s elderflower time and I’ll be using quite a few of them. Here are a few tips on how to get the most from them.Picking
- Try to pick them when the sun is bright and high in the sky. This will give the best perfume / flavour.
- Pick a tree that is away from a heavily used road.
- Always pick from above waist height!
- Place the elderflowers in a black bag and seal the top with a band or clip to make it airtight.
- Leave the bag overnight or for up to 24 hours.
- Open the bag and gently strip the flowers using a clean fore-finger and thumbnail while holding the Base of the stem firmly in the other hand.
This will get you a far higher flower to stalk ratio and prevent the bitterness associated with the stems.
Use them how you like. Use any leftovers frozen in ice cubes for an elegant way to serve summer drinks.